Mentioned
    1234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LaB NL PSN ID: LaB_NL Steam ID: LikeaBunny

[Multi] Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

What is Shadows Die Twice?

Shadows Die Twice is the new game from the developers behind the Dark Souls series and Bloodborne, From Software.

Very little is known about the game at present, and we won’t know much more about the game until several months from now. From Software has teased that we’ll find out more about the game within the next 12 months, so you’ll just have to sit tight for a while longer.

Last edited by Like-a-Bunny; 11th June 2018 at 11:40.
    Vragen? Stuur een mailtje naar info@liquidbunny.nl of spreek me aan op Steam.

Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheGreatTS PSN ID: Tonne_Boveld
    Zag er uitstekend uit.
    Kom maar door
    "As God as my witness I will put you through that fucking wall!"
    - Frank Murphy

Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rappa1985 PSN ID: Rappa1985 Steam ID: Rappa1985
    Owh is het toch wel een exclusive game voor xbox? Had ik even gemist dan.

edit:

Owh nee toch niet:

“Sekiro” is scheduled for release on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One in early 2019. It will be published by Activision Blizzard.
    bron

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: AelorDiyn
    Ben wel benieuwd, moest heel even naar Ninja Gaiden denken....en dat is op zich niet verkeerd :-D

Mentioned
    1234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Aelor View Post
    Ben wel benieuwd, moest heel even naar Ninja Gaiden denken....en dat is op zich niet verkeerd :-D
    Tenchu eerder als ik dit hieronder zo lees:"

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has its whole gimmick in the title

The name says it all

From Software is squeezing as much as it can out of the four words Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. At first, it might seem like nothing more than a stylish-sounding title -- all staccato'd syllables with a punch. But, really, those four words explain three of the game's main hooks.

Let's work left to right. Sekiro isn't a protagonist's name. From Software and Activision tell us they're not ready to reveal the hero's proper name. Instead, Sekiro is a play on the Japanese word sekuim (my phonetic spelling could be entirely wrong), which means "person who is missing a limb."

The one-armed protagonist is a shinobi who had his arm cut off, and that is the most obvious source of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice's unique mechanics. He has a katana in his right hand and prosthetic tools attached to his left hand. One such tool is a grappling hook that's meant to force quick maneuvering and vertical-oriented play -- all of it's very reminiscent of Tenchu. Another example is a giant battle axe that presumably does more damage than the katana but is significantly slower and more unwieldy. Or, there's a mechanism that shoots firecrackers to temporarily blind enemies.

There were plenty of things From Software wasn't ready to talk about during our hands-off demo of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. How these prosthetics fit into the role-playing was one of those things. Sekiro won't have multiple classes to choose from. We have to play as this shinobi. It seems reasonable to assume that picking new tools to vary our play style could definitely be a significant upgrade path through the game.

The latter post-colon part of the title has more direct inferences to what this game heavily features. As Activision producer Robert Conkey tells us, Shadows is ostensibly another word for ninja. However, it also refers to the stealth tangential focus of Sekiro. This isn't a stealth game but there are certainly stealth elements.

Klik voor full size.
    Klik voor full size.

As far as Die Twice goes, this might be the bit that dedicated Souls players find most contentious. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has a resurrection mechanic. Dying doesn't automatically send you back to a bonfire or lamp. It's limited-use and a From Software staff member emphasizes that "in no way does that make the game easy."

The demo intentionally didn't elaborate on resurrection too much. Activision seemingly has that saved for a later marketing beat. But we asked From Software whether the idea of resurrection might alienate the most hardcore of its players. "We're a fan of extreme tension and anxiety, the intense feeling of dread," From Software told us. "Yes, resurrection is going to be a factor, but it won't take away from that [tension and dread]."

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice will release in "early 2019" on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Klik voor full size.
    Klik voor full size.
    bron

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Masemium
    Dat ploatje in dat veldje met maan is wel een mooi ploatje!
    Your mileage may vary.

Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is definitely not a Dark Souls game

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is not a Souls game.

That’s important because developer FromSoftware spent the last decade making games that are either proper Dark Souls games or precursors, like Demon’s Souls. Even when the developers made the PlayStation 4 exclusive Bloodborne, it was in the Dark Souls mold.

Based on my time behind closed doors playing From’s new game, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice breaks that mold.

Mostly.

And it’s not hyperbole to say that it’s all because of that fishing reel-like attachment on your bony left arm.

If the Souls games were director Hidetaka Miyazaki’s fantastical take on medieval fantasy and Bloodborne was his take on gothic, Victorian fantasy, then Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is his take on Japanese fantasy. And from that single conceit — using a ninja instead of, say, a European knight — the gameplay that From is known for is changing dramatically.

“The reason we went with ninja as opposed to samurai this time is because samurai are a lot more grounded,” Miyazaki told Polygon at E3 2018 through a translator. “We feel like, at least from a Japanese perspective, ninja have this freedom to do anything, and to approach combat and approach situations in a multitude of ways.”

I played about 15 minutes of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, jumping and grappling and fighting my way through a level built to showcase gameplay. (In other words, it’s not necessarily something you’ll see when the game is released early next year on PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One.) And Miyazaki’s characterization was obvious as soon as I had a controller in my hands.

I began standing on the branch of a tree, overlooking a compound. Japanese architecture was everywhere, with its telltale sloping, tiled roofs. Trees and walls dotted the landscape. Almost everything provided an opportunity to climb up and over, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice conveys grapple points with a small white circle. They fill green when you’re close enough to press the left shoulder button and throw your grappling hook.

Doing something so simple as jumping wouldn’t feel remarkable in most games, but anyone who’s played a FromSoftware title in the last decade would understand that this is a significant change in gameplay. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice emphasizes mobility, and as I flew through the air, I tossed my grappling hook, connected with a nearby rock, soared above my enemies and stood perched atop a wall.

“So we have the grapple, we have the jump, you can use stealth, you can use, obviously, the katana — you know, it’s a Japanese motif — you can use the shinobi prosthetic tools, you can use a wide variety of tools at your disposal and abilities to confront in different ways,” Miyazaki said. “Of course, you can tackle things head on if you like. We felt this was very central to the ninja themes, and this is something we wanted to try with Sekiro, this concept of killing ingeniously.”

The first enemy I encountered showed me the difference between in combat, too. In Souls games, you’ve got your weapon and your shield. In Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, you’ve got a weapon (a katana in my case) and what Miyazaki calls a “shinobi prosthetic.” My enemy carried a large wooden sword, and my katana wouldn’t put a dent in it. But my axe would.

It’s a mechanic that’s not quite Dark Souls and not quite Bloodborne, but it’s related to both. I pressed Y and switched out my grappling hook for an axe on my left arm. A few hits later, and my enemy’s large wooden sword exploded into shards. I switched back to my katana to finish him off.

https://giant.gfycat.com/BoilingInferiorGoldfinch.webm

Speaking of finishing enemies off, in Shadows Die Twice enemies die in spectacular shows of gore and blood. It’s governed by a system that isn’t quite health and isn’t quite stamina, but the goal is to winnow it away. Once that’s done, your regular attack becomes an assassination — impaling, shredding, letting loose bursts of blood that spew in fountains of red.

It was up to me to figure out how to find other enemies, and I realized again how different Shadows Die Twice was. There was no clear path to my next encounter, so I looked up, found a grapple point and zipped above the compound.

For years, FromSoftware has been turning verticality into viable design aesthetic. In its games, geographical areas often sprawl up and down, not just forward and back, quite literally adding dimensions to gameplay. Shadows Die Twice carries on this tradition in a new way.

“So obviously, creating these wide-open 3D vertical spaces is something we’ve prided ourselves on in previous titles,” Miyazaki said, “but obviously they have their limits, when you’re walking around with sword and board in these previous games, you have to use the stairs, you have to use ladders. But this time, it’s kind of like a stress relief. It allows us to do things we haven’t been able to do in these levels before, and take an entirely new approach to exploring them and traversing them. So it’s been a lot of fun. We hope players will have fun as well.”

I explored the inside of buildings, running and fighting at what felt like twice the speed of a Souls game, and ended my time with a classic FromSoftware enemy. Or, perhaps more accurately, a classic FromSoftware enemy ended my time with the demo.

It was that monstrosity that you can see about 90 seconds into the E3 gameplay trailer — at least twice my size, sporting a wooden contraption around its neck and chains around its wrists.

I attacked, and he killed me instantly. But shadows die twice, so I hit R2 and sprung back to life. I jumped, ran, strafed. I killed the enemies surrounding him. I watched for just the right moment to attack. I pressed B to dodge, but that’s a kick in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

He grabbed me. His gigantic hands squeezed my torso. I gasped. He picked me up. He held me over his head, grunting. He slammed me into the ground.

I imagine that the last thing my ninja heard was his back snapping in two. Game over.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice may not be a Souls game, but it’s definitely a FromSoftware game. You might as well prepare to die.

Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Ik ben echt benieuwd.
    Dit klinkt als een pareltje
    - Frank Murphy

Mentioned
    1234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

5 Big Differences Between Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and Dark Souls

As soon as Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice appeared on stage at this year’s E3, the majority of questions surrounding the game tended to be along the lines of: “how similar is it to Dark Souls?”. And, as reductive as that line of questioning might sound to some, it’s easier to see why so many outlets focused on it.

From the overall look of the game through to the sound effects of steel meeting flesh, the similarities between From Software’s newest title and its genre-defining back catalogue were inescapable.

Yet, as was hinted at during the presentation itself, before being confirmed in various follow up interviews, there are some key differences that help Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice stand out from the crowd.

In the interests of brevity, we’ve compiled a list of five of the most striking.

The Setting Of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

To begin with, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is set in late 16th Century Japan during a period known as the Sengoku era or the Warring States Period, immediately distinguishing it from the medieval high-fantasy of Dark Souls and the grimy, plague-ridden streets of gothic Yarnham.

Much like Team Ninja’s Nioh, however, From Software isn’t aiming to make a historically accurate game with Sekiro – we won’t be meeting any historical figures over the course of the adventure or participating in real-world events.

Rather, From Software has drawn inspiration from the socio-political themes, art and architecture, and even the flora and fauna of the period. Which is a roundabout way of saying players should expect to be pitted against plenty of giant enemies and nightmarish creatures when the game launches, as well as the standard scores of human enemies.

A Simpler Setup

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice revolves around The Shinobi and his ward, The Young Lord

The differences are less conspicuous as far as the narrative goes. The story, which revolves around protagonist ‘The Shinobi’ (his actual name hasn’t been revealed at the time of writing) scouring the surrounding lands in search of his 10-year-old ward (currently referred to as ‘The Young Lord’), is told through tantalisingly brief snatches of lore in a similar way to Dark Souls or Bloodborne, instead of cut-scenes and inter-character dialogue.

However, according to From Software Marketing Manager Yasuhiro Kitao and Activision Producer Robert Conkey, who went into greater detail during an interview with IGN, the initial setup is slightly easier to follow.

In terms of the layout of the game world, meanwhile, Kitao also revealed Sekiro is most like the original Dark Souls.
    In other words, the player isn’t forced along a linear path from the outset, completing missions and defeating bosses in a pre-determined order, and is therefore able to travel back and forth between the game’s panoply of interconnected environments in whatever way they see fit.

No Character Customisation

This particular revelation will leave some players disappointed for sure, but there’s no character customisation in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

Everyone experiences the game from the perspective of ‘The Shinobi’: a disgraced and highly-skilled ninja whose modular prosthetic arm grants him an array of powerful abilities. Player’s aren’t able to create their very own avatar using a complicated suite of customisation tools or pick between the numerous presets of a fluid class system; from the sounds of it, it’s not even possible to change the Shinobi’s attire. I hope you like weather-stained red cloaks and ragged, off-black trousers.

That’s not to say customisation has been eschewed altogether. As Kitao went on to explain shortly thereafter, the prosthetic itself provides plenty of opportunities to alter the way The Shinobi plays and, more generally, lets players immerse themselves in the way of the Ninja.

Traversal And Stealth

In fact, it’s the prosthetic that facilitates the game’s interesting traversal and stealth mechanics.

Using the protagonist’s versatile grappling hook (the very tool we were introduced to in the original teaser trailer all those months ago), the player is able to zip around the game’s evocative landscapes both laterally and vertically, darting quickly behind enemies to get into position for a sudden backstab or ascending nearby structures in the blink of an eye to get the lay of the land before they begin the next difficult encounter. A fluid movement system which, as you might expect, goes hand-in-hand with Sekiro’s stealth mechanics.

True, we don’t really know exactly how stealth functions at this stage – whether it’ll be like Uncharted and so enabling players to execute enemies with the simple press of a single button should they sneak up on their target undetected or operate more along the lines of a pre-emptive strike that lets players deal a significant amount of damage before the battle proper begins.

One thing it does seem to offer, however, is the option of simply avoiding confrontations altogether. Although I can’t see serious Soulsborne players passing up the opportunity to make an objectively difficult foe look about as threatening as a Furby.

An Action-adventure With RPG elements

If the preceding four points hadn’t already let the cat out of the bag, one of if not the biggest difference between the two IPs is that Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is an action-adventure game with RPG elements, rather than a fully-fledged action-RPG. A subtle distinction, admittedly, but an important one.

Players don’t have to worry about pumping XP into specific stats to aid in The Shinobi’s development as the game progresses, or spend hours picking through online spreadsheets looking for the perfect weapons and gear to suit their chosen build. Nor is there any kind of multiplayer element link to prepare for once they’ve beaten the main game; to be fair, it wouldn’t really work if everyone’s playing as the same character representing the same class.

Mind you, it’s still very, very hard, according to Kitao. Even harder than Bloodborne or Dark Souls, I should imagine, now that we can no longer call on other players to help us defeat a particularly tricky boss or spam arrows/spells from a safe distance when confronted with an unnervingly large dragon blocking our way.

So, when can we actually play Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Soon…ish. As revealed in a recent post on the developer’s official website, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice launches early 2019 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

In the meantime, be sure to visit PlayStation Universe regularly for up to the minute info.
    bron

Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice komt in maart 2019 uit

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice verschijnt op 22 maart 2019, zo heeft FromSoftware aangekondigd.
    De nieuwe game van de makers van Dark Souls is speelbaar op Gamescom deze week. Spelers kunnen de combat met het zwaard uitproberen en ook de speciale arm van het hoofdpersonage die verschillende mogelijkheden heeft ervaren.

"We kunnen niet wachten tot gamers eindelijk Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice kunnen proberen", aldus Steve Young, chief revenue officer bij Activision. "Spelers kunnen op 22 maart 2019 aan de slag met de brute, donkere wereld die zich in 1500 in Sengoku, Japan afspeelt."

Er is tevens een collector's edition aangekondigd, waarin naast de game ook een beeldje, steelbook, artboek, map, replica's van in-game muntjes en digitale soundtrack zit.

Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Klinkt goed.
    - Frank Murphy

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: D4rKy1945 Steam ID: D4rKy28

Mentioned
    1234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice sure is a FromSoftware game

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice – and every FromSoftware game in perpetuity – is always going to be compared to Dark Souls.

When you land such a zeitgeist-shaping smash hit, that’s just the way it goes. But from the first time you launch spidey-style into the air with your skeleton grappling hook, it’s obvious Sekiro is something different.

Sekiro is still a FromSoft game through-and-through – doors take an eternity to open, the camera takes a similar perspective, you will be murdered a lot – but the amount of options you have to tackle what’s in front of you make this feel like an exciting evolution of the SoulsBorne formula.

After nearly ten years of Souls, it’s clear series creator and From president Hidetaka Miyazaki is keen to branch out and incorporate new and interesting ideas into his studio’s games – a feeling that’s shared throughout the team working on Sekiro.

“We set out to make something completely fresh with Sekiro,” FromSoft comms manager Yashuhrio Kitao says via a translator. “Obviously, there are some elements you’ll find familiar, and we hope that fans enjoy those elements and feel this is something familiar, yet different.

Klik voor full size.
    Klik voor full size.

“We wanted to create something new, in this brand-new setting, with new themes and motifs.”

The biggest change in Sekiro is the variety of new tools and movement abilities you can use to approach enemies quietly. It’s an optional emphasis, but where in Bloodborne you might try kite an enemy away for a one-on-one tussle, Sekiro allows you to crouch through long grass, stealthily take out a straggler, then position yourself for a surprise assault on a larger foe.

For those worried, this doesn’t take much of the challenge away. The stealth here is as punishing as any other mechanic From has created in the past. There’s no selective blindness from patrols – if you leave cover, they will see you – and stealth attacks work very similarly to backstabs in previous games: one pixel outside the sweet spot and you’re left swinging at air as everything in the area rushes over to kick you down a chasm.

Perhaps the most interesting application of the stealth mechanics I saw was against mini-boss characters. They’ve got multiple visible health bars, and a stealthy stab wipes one away before you face them head-to-head. This is one way a sneaky strategy can make the straight-up fighting demonstrably easier, but that doesn’t mean much if you haven’t got the skills to finish someone off once you’re exposed.

“We didn’t just put stealth in the game to make it easier or to appeal to a wider audience,” Kitao explains. “Stealth is one facet of the shinobi’s arsenal and what we wanted to do was create a game [where] if you jump in head-first and confront these enemies from the start, it may even end up being much tougher than previous games.

“[Even] the weaker fodder enemies, they’re conscious, they’re aware, they have a katana, they can really do some damage. But there are a number of ways we’ve incorporated to approach them from different angles and thin out the numbers before you attack a lot of enemies head-on.”

Supplementing your new movement abilities are multiple branching paths that serve as shortcuts between areas as well as ways to maneuver around tough opponents. Sekiro is positively littered with secret trails, and you can find new routes hidden in inconspicuous corners and even off the edge of cliffs.

Klik voor full size.
    Klik voor full size.

“You can explore the map in a number of ways,” Kitao says. “This is definitely a point of pride in making these maps and [it’s] very fun for us thinking how could we approach this situation. We’ve always built these three-dimensional maps with a lot of verticality – with a high road and a low road – and this is going to make these maps a lot more accessible, especially with the addition of the jump and the grappling hook.

“There’s going to be a variety of routes that the player can discover and explore off the beaten path.”

Player agency has been a cornerstone of recent FromSoftware games – both gameplay and story-wise – so just as you can choose your own path through environments, it’ll be up to you to unfurl the mysteries of the world.

The E3 trailer made it seem like Sekiro is more overtly narrative-led, but story will still only be fed in scraps here. FromSoft wants to preserve the experience of wading through a nebulous world none-the-wiser save for a few scattered crumbs, so there aren’t going to be many story beats beyond the start of the game.

So far, we know Sekiro is set in the Sengoku, or “Warring States”, period of Japanese history, which spanned the late 16th and early 17th centuries. You play as the One-Armed Wolf in the earlier half of the era – towards the end of the 1500s – fighting to rescue the kidnapped Young Lord you’re sworn to, slowly understanding the world more as you explore deeper.

“It’s not going to be the only way you learn about the lore, but it’s definitely something we want to keep intact,” Kitao says about finding story snippets in Sekiro. “And we hope if players can explore the world and find these fragmented story pieces and piece it together – that’s something we’d love for them to enjoy.

“What we’d like players to recognise is that from the outset we have this simpler approach to the story – more understandable, more relatable themes and motifs, such as the shinobi protagonist who has to protect and save his charge the Young Lord.

Klik voor full size.
    Klik voor full size.

“So from the outset, the story is more approachable in that sense. What we’d like to do is not have a very story-driven experience, but have this player-driven experience where they’re finding clues and pieces of lore and piecing it together themselves.”

We’ve only seen a limited amount of Sekiro’s setting so far, so it’ll be interesting to see if Feudal Japan can turn in as show-stealing a performance as the twisted city of Yarnham in Bloodborne or Dark Souls’ decaying kingdom of Lordran, with its fetid sewers, dense forests, and cold stone halls.

What we do know is that it won’t be predictable. The inspiration for Sekiro’s menagerie of nightmarish beasts won’t just be limited to Japanese legend – game design always provides the base – and few studios have as good a track record to draw on.

“A lot of the staff that we’ve had since Demon’s Souls, they’ve never had a chance to create a game set in Japan,” Kitao adds. “So this is a really nice new motivator for them to create this brand-new world.

“We don’t say, ‘Hey, look, there was this interesting creature in Japanese folklore, let’s take that and tweak it.’ We say, ‘What would really fit our imagining of Sengoku Warring States period Japan?’, and we start from there. That’s why we like to think of these as original creations, original enemies and monsters, with some inspirations from various sources.”

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is published by Activision and launches worldwide on PS4, Xbox One, and PC on March 22, 2019.
    bron

Mentioned
    1234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Mentioned
    1234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Hands On: Sekiro's Going to Be as Hard as You Fear - Or Hope

Samurai souls

Klik voor full size.
    Klik voor full size.

Playable for the first time, FromSoftware’s ninja-action death frenzy Sekiro was the 2018 Tokyo Game Show’s hottest ticket. Sekiro sets out its threat in the subtitle: Shadows Die Twice.

On the subject of death, we were reminded of a story by Pulitzer-winner Annie Proulx, in which she sees a goat after a family visit, representing the inevitability of mortality. Sekiro does a similar thing, but instead of driving past a goat, you are disembowelled a thousand times by men with swords. We suppose there are two ways to make the same point.

Sekiro was in high demand at the Game Show, and even after starting about fifth in the queue and running (for real) straight to Sony’s booth, our 15 minutes on the game took pretty much two hours.

“Sekiro” means “lone wolf”, and you play as a ninja in ancient Japan. But we were no lone wolf going in, as we befriended two other writers in the queue, who reminisced about dying repeatedly in Dark Souls, Sekiro’s smash-hit ancestor. Expectations of killer difficulty had been set.

Klik voor full size.
    Klik voor full size.

As seen in trailers, Sekiro looks smart and modern, if not jaw-dropping. Animations are clean and fast, although we occasionally found ourselves watching in dread as our character yawned to his feet without the urgency to be expected when dismemberment is very much on the cards.

The booth staffers – all young women in Sony blue and leggings – would offer gentle clarification if you misunderstood the controls and applaud cutely when you eviscerated someone. The encouragement was welcome, as everyone who played received a jolly good murdering.

The much-anticipated grappling hook mechanic is basic but not a gimmick. There‘s no freedom with it – you see a green circle appear on part of the scenery, point the camera vaguely at it and hit R2. When the circle is out of range, it’s grey. No circle; no grapple. The placement of green circles seemed arbitrary – the gables of some old wooden structures, but not others; the heaving, looming branches of some snow-covered trees but not others. (The branch you can mount bows and sheds its snow when you land – a pretty bit of peacocking for this opening scene.) What grappling does do is prompt you to look for new vantage points and lines of attack, and it makes aerial assassinations satisfyingly available. You’re no Bionic Commando, but it changes your relationship with the world.
    Klik voor full size.
    Klik voor full size.

Combat is intuitive: lock on to enemies, dodge, parry, and strike, toying, feeling for the right time to serve death. The minions are easy, bloody kills, but if you screw it up then they can be lethal when they hit. The ones in the opening scene were sneakupable from bushes or above or behind and could be removed from existence quite mercilessly, to orangey-red ceremony. These stealth attacks are not going to get old quickly.

The first section of the demo led to a tough general patrolling the gates to the citadel. A couple of notes here: 1) we assume this was only the first section of the demo; 2) we assume the gates were to a citadel and not to, say, a chocolate factory or a theme park. The general killed us over and over and over and over and over again, so beyond him, for us, lie mere assumptions.

We were warned by the staffer as we approached the general that he was “mechya tsutyoi”. She realised she had spoken in Japanese and quickly corrected: “mechya strong”. “Mechya” we were left to translate ourselves. We're guessing that in English it begins with an 'F'.

Leaving the booth, one of our new friends quipped, “‘Shadows Die Twice’? More like ‘Shadows Die Like 20 Times’!” Hurr-hurr, we laughed along. If only it had just been 20.
    bron

Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

For the first time in a modern From Software game, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice’s protagonist will speak

From Software is telling a more intimate story about a set cast of characters in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

With this shift from the lore-heavy, world-based storytelling style From adopted in the past, comes much greater emphasis on characters and their relationships in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

In a new interview with Game Informer, the developer said it wanted to build the game’s story around its characters, including that of the protagonist; The Wolf. Having a fixed protagonist is part of how it hopes to achieve this.

“We’re trying to tell more of a drama, if you will, of these characters,” said marketing and communications manager Yasuhiro Kitao.

This includes The Young Lord, and his relationship with the protagonist. Failing to protect him is what sets the game’s main events in motion, of course. Interestingly, From Software revealed that The Young Lord will even accompany the player on one mission, but stressed it won’t be “[an] escort mission in the typical sense.”

The other major change in Sekiro’s storytelling is that the protagonist will speak. This is another benefit of locking players to a single option. “He’ll say a few things here and there, but yeah, he won’t bore you to tears with constant monologues,” added Kitao.

The developer also clarified that this newfound approach to narrative won’t forgo the long-standing tradition of leaving bits of story for players to discover in item descriptions, and through examining the world. Kitao called it “fragmented storytelling”, and promised it’s very much still part of the game.

There’s more in the full interview, which you can read at the link above.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is out March 22 on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Mentioned
    1234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Mentioned
    714 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: shappy1010 Steam ID: RPGer
    Toch nog een game om naar uit te kijken dit jaar? Ik faal keihard bij die From Games en was wel een beetje klaar met Dark Souls, maar dit ziet er weer fris en fruitig uit!
    Ik kan niet wachten

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must... resist... to... click.

De game schijnt overigens volgens FromSoft wel moeilijker te worden dan DS en BloodBorne en ook NG+ te bevatten dus ik ben echt razend benieuwd. Dat wordt met een matje voor de deur slapen hoor.

Mentioned
    1234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Gaunter O'Dimm View Post
    Must... resist... to... click.
    Het laat een type vijand zien, meer niet.

Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Neem het op tegen Lady Butterfly in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

In een korte nieuwe trailer van Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice wordt Lady Butterfly geïntroduceerd.
    Lady Butterfly lijkt een van de eindbazen in de game te zijn. Het gaat om een oude vrouw met een paar scharen die erg snel voor haar leeftijd is.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is van de ontwikkelaar FromSoftware, bekend van de Dark Souls-games. Het spel speelt zich af in Japan rond het jaar 1500, waarin de speler een krijger speelt die zijn ontvoerde leider moet redden. Sekiro komt op 22 maart uit voor PlayStation 4, Xbox One en pc.

Mentioned
    1234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Waarom heb ik het idee dat dit best wel eens een pittige game kan gaan worden?

Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: SeabassNL Steam ID: sebasmeer
    Quote Originally Posted by Like-a-Bunny View Post
    Waarom heb ik het idee dat dit best wel eens een pittige game kan gaan worden?
    Dat was al bekend toch?

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Is Even More Difficult Than Dark Souls Or Bloodborne, From Software Says

Mentioned
    1234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Retorisch natuurlijk.

Het begint er steeds interessanter uit te zien. Aan de ene kant erg bekend als je bijvoorbeeld ziet hoe bazen geïntroduceerd worden, maar aan de andere kant zal de gameplay een hoop veranderingen gaan brengen. Lamakomme!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck!

Ik ben vergeten de Collector's Edition te reserveren en die is nou overal uitverkocht. Een andere optie was GAME uit het VK maar die versturen kennelijk geen CE's naar het buitenland... Iemand enig idee hoe ik nog aan een CE kan komen? Eén of andere obscure site waar ze dit soort spullen altijd nog hebben? Een andere betrouwbare webstore, waar dan ook in Europa, die ook naar het buitenland verzend? Of heeft er iemand hier toevallig nog een extra reservering openstaan?
    Last edited by Gaunter O'Dimm; 25th February 2019 at 12:56.

Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Fuck!

Ik ben vergeten de Collector's Edition te reserveren en die is nou overal uitverkocht. Een andere optie was GAME uit het VK maar die versturen kennelijk geen CE's naar het buitenland... Iemand enig idee hoe ik nog aan een CE kan komen? Eén of andere obscure site waar ze dit soort spullen altijd nog hebben? Een andere betrouwbare webstore, waar dan ook in Europa, die ook naar het buitenland verzend? Of heeft er iemand hier toevallig nog een extra reservering openstaan?
    Ik heb even rond gegoogled. Maar inderdaad. Overal uitverkocht.
    Je zou op Bol en Amazon(.de/.co.uk) je mail adres achterlaten voor het geval dat.

Maar de ECHTE FAN kan je ook gokken op een Ebay aankoop Daar kan je hem overkopen voor het dubbele bedrag van iemand die de game wel optijd heeft besteld
    Last edited by Seabass; 26th February 2019 at 11:32.

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tot nu toe lijkt Nioh me moeilijker dan de Souls games, dus ben benieuwd hoe deze game zal spelen. Wel beetje zelfde sfeertje.
    De cirkel is wel rond zo. Nioh = Souls games = Sekiro = Nioh

Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Zebby View Post
    Tot nu toe lijkt Nioh me moeilijker dan de Souls games, dus ben benieuwd hoe deze game zal spelen. Wel beetje zelfde sfeertje.
    De cirkel is wel rond zo. Nioh = Souls games = Sekiro = Nioh
    Dit spel is een stuk meer action-driven dan de Souls-games. Je kan op je vijand inbeuken, of stealth kills uitvoeren. Je krijgt een 2e kans als je dood gaat. Er zijn geen "souls" om te levelen. Je kan.... SPRINGEN! En je hebt een Grappling hook.

Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Damn, ook al in maart :O Dure eerste maandjes zo!

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ArkaineNL PSN ID: ObsidianNL Steam ID: ObsidianNL
    Quote Originally Posted by Rappa View Post
    Damn, ook al in maart :O Dure eerste maandjes zo!
    Gemeentelijke belastingen be like; NOPE!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
    Ik heb even rond gegoogled. Maar inderdaad. Overal uitverkocht.
    Je zou op Bol en Amazon(.de/.co.uk) je mail adres achterlaten voor het geval dat.

Maar de ECHTE FAN kan je ook gokken op een Ebay aankoop Daar kan je hem overkopen voor het dubbele bedrag van iemand die de game wel optijd heeft besteld
    Oh man, er is echt een apart plekje in de Hel voor zulke idioten. Ik vraag mij echt af wat er in die hoofden omgaat, alles voor een klein beetje extra winst. Dat je dan een product gaat kopen wat enkel voor die hard FromSoft-autisten bestemd is en dit dan voor 180-200% van de originele prijs gaat verkopen. Ik ben ervan overtuigd dat de voorouders van zulke mensen 80 jaar geleden grof geld hebben verdiend aan o.a. het verraden van joden en het goedkoop opkopen van joods eigendom. Absoluut.

Maar goed, ik heb gelukkig een retailer in Zweden gevonden die de CE nog op voorraad heeft dus het is inmiddels allemaal opgelost Toch nog bedankt voor het meezoeken!

Enige nadeel is wel dat ik nu weer gelijk moet double dippen bij launch omdat het minstens een week zal duren voordat ik dat pakket in ontvangst zal kunnen nemen

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Lesleeyyyyy
    Ik hoop zo erg op 60 FPS op de PS4. Anders geen buy, denk ik. Ik ben echt zo klaar met framerate issues he.

Ik kan me God of War op de PS4 Pro nog herinneren. Leuke game hoor, en veel praise voor de nieuw ingeslagen directie, maar die game deed niets nieuws en had echt last van framepacing. Exit met die game dus, voor mij.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doel je op From Software's bekende framepacing problemen of frame drops?

Ik denk persoonlijk dat het qua performance grafisch ditmaal wel in orde zal zijn gezien Activision zich wat meer met de ontwikkeling bemoeid heeft dan een Banda Namco eerder bij Dark Souls e.d. deed. Ik bedoel, je kunt veel over die uitgever zeggen maar grafisch zijn de door hun uitgegeven games doorgaans wel in orde. Dus ik ga er vanuit dat vooral de PS4 Pro en Xbox One X ditmaal wat meer liefde hebben gekregen. Maar een 60 fps mode? Lijkt mij sterk, dan zul je waarschijnlijk toch voor de PC versie moeten gaan.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Doel je op From Software's bekende framepacing problemen of frame drops?

Ik denk persoonlijk dat het qua performance grafisch ditmaal wel in orde zal zijn gezien Activision zich wat meer met de ontwikkeling bemoeid heeft dan een Banda Namco eerder bij Dark Souls e.d. deed. Ik bedoel, je kunt veel over die uitgever zeggen maar grafisch zijn de door hun uitgegeven games doorgaans wel in orde. Dus ik ga er vanuit dat vooral de PS4 Pro en Xbox One X ditmaal wat meer liefde hebben gekregen. Maar een 60 fps mode? Lijkt mij sterk, dan zul je waarschijnlijk toch voor de PC versie moeten gaan.
    Ik had niet superveel moeite met Bloodborne NA alle patches enzo. Dat was wel okay. Zeker met een goed beeldscherm.

God of War schommelde van 60 naar 50 naar 30 en weer terug naar 60. Tergend.

Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: K1kk3rGNL
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
    Ik had niet superveel moeite met Bloodborne NA alle patches enzo. Dat was wel okay. Zeker met een goed beeldscherm.

God of War schommelde van 60 naar 50 naar 30 en weer terug naar 60. Tergend.
    Oh, die lange loading screens in de eerste versie van Bloodborne, met alleen dat logo...
    Daar heb ik veel te vaak naar moeten kijken.
    Enige positieve was dat ik die momenten kon gebruiken om af te koelen van het ragen

Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Hoe merken jullie die frameratings op consoles? Ik ben daar dus echt niet gevoelig voor.

Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Hoe merken jullie die frameratings op consoles? Ik ben daar dus echt niet gevoelig voor.
    Ik merk het voornamelijk met switchen tussen pc games en console games of als ik switch tussen een cod die standaard 60fps is naar een game die 30 fps is of tussen de 60 en 30 zit. Als je eenmaal weet hoe 60 fps voelt en ziet ga je het echt wel merken als games daar onder droppen.
    Last edited by Rappa; 5th March 2019 at 13:41.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Rappa View Post
    Ik merk het voornamelijk met switchen tussen pc games en console games of als ik switch tussen een cod die standaard 60fps is naar een game die 30 fps is of tussen de 60 en 30 zit. Als je eenmaal weet hoe 60 fps voelt en ziet ga je het echt wel merken als games daar onder droppen.
    Ja, dit.

Overigens hebben streamers en journo's de game (een demo?) mogen spelen. Geloof dat er best wat impressies en footage uitkomt dezer dagen. Gotta stay strong...

Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is inderdaad een bepaalde gevoeligheid. Ik game gelukkig met regelmaat met @s4lm die mij dan verteld dat er framedrops zijn (of juist niet)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
    Gotta stay strong...
    Nog maar 16 dagen joh!

Ik ben wel echt benieuwd gezien ik enkel die teaser trailer en de E3 trailer gezien heb. Verder geen gameplay, screens of wat dan ook. Niets, noppes, nada en dat wordt straks dus pas echt genieten en helemaal zelf de mechanics e.d. uitvinden.

Dus: Nog 15 nachtjes met een matje voor de winkel liggen.