Thread: [Multi] Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

Mentioned
    1207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LaB NL PSN ID: LaB_NL Steam ID: LikeaBunny

[Multi] Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey will be available on Steam one year after launch on other exclusive digital PC platforms.

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey is a third-person open world survival game where you Explore, Expand, and Evolve to advance your clan to the next generation in this exhilarating new adventure from the creator of Assassin’s Creed.

Embark on the most incredible odyssey known to humankind: human evolution. Spanning from 10 million to 2 million years ago, begin your journey, before us, in Neogene period Africa. Explore a beautiful yet ruthless world, from swinging through tree branches in the jungle to stalking prey across the golden savannah grasslands. Decide what attributes to learn and hone in order to pass down knowledge to future generations, from crafting tools to enhancing evasive tactics against predators. Just like real life, make sure to eat, drink, and sleep to stay alive and have the energy to face any danger that may come your way.

Grow your clan and find strength in numbers as you progress through critical evolutionary stages of human evolution. Your choices will write your clan’s story and determine if you can survive your evolution.

Key Features:

• Explore Ruthless Africa: Explore the never-before-experienced world of Neogene Africa starting 10 million years ago at the dawn of humankind. From the tops of tree canopies overlooking lush jungles to the golden grasslands of the savannah, traverse a beautiful yet unforgiving landscape. For every breath-taking view, beware of the weather, predators, and other dangers that threaten your survival.
    • Expand Your Territory and Grow Your Clan: Increase your chances of survival by uniting new members of your species and giving birth to future generations. Control different clan members, form bonds to create families, and work together to intimidate predators during expeditions. Conquer fear as you explore unknown locations in order to expand your territory.
    • Evolve Through Multiple Generations: See the physical and intellectual evolution of the first hominids as you explore, learn, and survive. Spanning from 10 million to 2 million years ago, play as one of the first hominids and evolve over the course of millions of years during key stages in human evolution. Make crucial discoveries and hone physical abilities that will be passed down to future generations such as Ardipithecus ramidus and Australopithecus.
    • Choose How You Survive: Evolution was not written in stone. Your decisions shape how you will overcome obstacles, increase your species, and what knowledge will pass on to future generations. Focus on specific attributes or choose a more balanced approach to survival. Your clan’s ability to survive will be directly impacted by your choices, making each player’s experience unique.

Official
    Steam
    Last edited by Like-a-Bunny; 12th June 2019 at 20:56.
    Vragen? Stuur een mailtje naar info@liquidbunny.nl of spreek me aan op Steam.

Mentioned
    1207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

How 'Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey' wants to simulate evolution
    The co-creator of 'Assassin's Creed' is going back to 10 million BC.

One challenge with creating a game about the arc of human evolution is that the subject matter is almost limitlessly broad. With Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, creator Patrice Désilets is narrowing the time period down to between 10 million to 2 million BC. And boiling down the challenge to this:

"Basically, I'm asking players the question: Hey homosapiens, think you're smart? Think you're the top? Can you survive like our ancestors did?"

The overarching goal of the game is straightforward: roam neogene Africa and evolve to the Australopithecus (aka "Lucy"), going from "prey to predator," as Désilets puts it. The player's concerns are not necessarily establishing entire civilizations, but more primal needs like building a clan, having babies and learning how to navigate a brutal world. Yet within this broad goal, there is little guidance. It's a game of trial and error, much like natural selection.

Désilets led the Assassin's Creed games as well as Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time before an acrimonious split from Ubisoft. Ancestors represents the first title from the 35-person studio he co-founded in 2014, Panache Digital Games. Out on August 27th on PC (with PS4 and Xbox One following in December), it's a third-person action-adventure game with plenty of tree climbing, but it's also a survival game.

The challenge is trying to create the kind of jungle sandbox that encourages player exploration, while still placing them in a realistically unforgiving environment. The desperate battle to avoid extinction is not necessarily conducive to flights of fancy.

Ancestors tries to have a light touch. There's no mini-map ("It's not about going from a little dot to another little dot," says Désilets) and no inventory (you hold what you have in two hands, or a member of your clan holds it for you). There is an "intelligence" system that scans surroundings for landmarks, but your attention can also be gently redirected by, say, the rising smoke from a crashed meteor. What incentivizes you to move forward are depleting food supplies, the desire to explore and outrunning predators -- the essentials of survival.

There is still, however, a HUD, and a skill tree of neurons which visualizes your evolution. In Ancestors, you don't start the game knowing how to hold items in both hands. Without the right enzymes, you'll get sick eating an egg. As a baby primate in unfamiliar surroundings, you'll see phantoms all around and your viewpoint vignettes in fear.

Désilets insists he doesn't want to tell players what to do in Ancestors. "I want the players to be curious. I want you to have a little bit of creativity in your adventure," he said. "You write all sorts of weird stories for yourself."

The core idea Désilets keeps returning to is that he wants us to empathize with the creatures we used to be. A game that achieves this could make us feel small; in awe of the natural world, not to mention all the work it took to gradually conquer it and bend it to our will. He also hopes to show how similar we really are to our ancestors; how we're not so much smarter than them as we suspect. "It's in our DNA," Désilets said. "You relive that moment on the screen and you feel like 'oh, somehow I've been there.'"

Désilets' goals are lofty but worth exploring through Ancestors. When we get to play it, getting to witness that basic sense of awe amidst the struggle to survive will probably be the ultimate test of whether the game works or not.
    bron

Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheGreatTS PSN ID: Tonne_Boveld
    Leuk experiment maar ik zie mezelf dit echt geen seconde spelen.
    "As God as my witness I will put you through that fucking wall!"
    - Frank Murphy

Historian Overlord Das Tentakel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take Two (via 'Private Division', hun subdivisie die 'indie' games uitgeeft), dus het is een (tijdelijke) Epic exclusive. Misschien de 2020 Steam kerstsale of Gamepass vermoed ik voor mij. If it doesn't suck salty primate balls
    'Freude ist nur ein Mangel an Information'

Mentioned
    1207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Assassin’s Creed’s Original Director Is Back With A Weird Game About Human Evolution

Illustration for article titled Assassin’s Creed’s Original Director Is Back With A Weird Game About Human Evolution
    I was sitting in an interview room asking the ever-cheerful Patrice Désilets about the controls in his first new game since 2010’s Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood and he lit up.

He imagined an Xbox controller and rattled through the button assignments.

“‘A’ is all about the reflexes,” he said. “‘B’ is about the communication, ‘X’ is about the senses—the smell and the hearing—and ‘Y’ is about analyzing with your intelligence. The bumpers are your two hands and eventually the trigger is about your emotions.”

This is pure Patrice Désilets, best known as the director of the first three Assassin’s Creed games, and it’s much of the reason why anyone might be excited about the fact that he’s finally, nearly ready to release a new game again. The new one from his studio of three dozen developers is called Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey. It’s strange, which is the norm for Désilets. And he’s not positive you’ll like it, which is the norm for him, too. He doesn’t make the stuff you’d expect.

“I would not be able to do a normal game,” he said. “If people are like, ‘I like your game. I understand it.’ That I would be stressed about.”

He’d be stressed if people heard about Ancestors and immediately said they liked his game and understood it?

“Yeah,” Désilets said. “That would mean I didn’t do my job.”

Illustration for article titled Assassin’s Creed’s Original Director Is Back With A Weird Game About Human Evolution
    Ancestors is a third-person action-adventure game that spans eight million years, starting its players off in 10,000,000 BC. You control generations of prehistoric primates, starting as a baby, trying to reach the age of 15, spawning and skipping ahead to control the next generation. They’ll learn to survive, learn to hunt and will slowly evolve. Some babies will turn out to have unique traits, Désilets said. “Maybe the ability to digest meat. And if that baby survives long enough to mate and pass it to another generation, then suddenly your species is capable of eating meat. If the player’s character dies, they take control of another member of their primate clan, hoping to bring the evolutionary advances to their offspring.

He says there’s no shortage of material for the game and offers Kotaku an exclusive: “You won’t be able to make fire” because that comes after the eight million years the game is covering. That could go in a sequel, perhaps.

He keeps himself from explaining much more about this one. “I don’t want to say a lot,” he said. “Because the real pleasure is set in the discovery of it all.”

The idea of Ancestors is that you’re following the path of evolution, learning new skills and experiencing the gradual transformation from ape to human with bonus points if you make any advances faster than they supposedly happened in reality.

“I’m asking the question to every player: ‘Hey homo sapiens, do you think you’re intelligent enough to survive like our ancestors did?’”

Désilets used that line on me when we chatted at this year’s E3 in Los Angeles last month and also during a showcase with my friend Geoff Keighley, for whom Désilets brought several minutes of a pre-recorded playthrough of the game. In it, you can see the continuity of game design interests from the same person who was the visionary behind Prince of Persia Sands of Time and Assassin’s Creed, as the player-character does a lot of climbing in a beautiful and old place (in this case the trees of a prehistoric African jungle) with nary a standard video game hero nor gunshot to be seen.

Skip ahead to about the 9:30 mark to see a playthrough of Ancestors’ opening minutes.

The game is unusual. It has characters who don’t speak, though they can communicate in some ways. Désilets says there are a variation of the kind of squad commands you might find in a covert ops game. The characters wear no clothes (there’s a “lot of fur” which helps them achieve an acceptable game rating). There’s no single lead character, no individual hero’s tale.

Even the aforementioned controls sound distinct, not just because he’s doing another experimental button scheme, but because he’s decided to trigger actions at the moment a button is released rather than when it is pressed. “That’s how we do it in real life,” he said. We think, then we act. Well, sometimes.

Désilets did not bring a playable build of the game with him to E3, saying it would have been too taxing for his small team to create a demo for the show as they race to finish the game for a late August PC release (it’s not slated for consoles until December). This was both understandable and worrisome, for anyone, myself included, eager to know if Désilets still has it.

Back in 2003, Sand of Time was a revelation, mixing exhilarating running and jumping with a game-long dialogue-driven love story and spicing it up with the ability to rewind failed jumps and try them again.

When Désilets was tasked with cooking up a Sand of Time sequel for the dawn of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 generation, he concocted Assassin’s Creed, a game about a man in modern times using a device to relive the lives of his assassin ancestors, first as a 12th century Syrian during the Crusades and then as an Italian during the Renaissance. The controls for those early Assassin’s Creed games were based on the idea of puppetry: top button for the head, middle buttons for the arms, lowest button for the legs.

He says he got tired of making Assassin’s Creed games and left publisher Ubisoft after the third one, Brotherhood. That concluded a decade of productivity and hits, followed by a decade of no released games. He tried making a new one at THQ before the studio collapsed and Ubisoft brought him back, only for him to leave again. At E3 in 2015 he started talking to me about his small new studio, Panache, and his idea for Ancestors: “Assassin’s Creed meets the Civilization tech tree.” The game would be episodic (it no longer is) and surely out sooner than 2019.

Désilets did not bring his team’s game to his E3 interviews, but he did bring a picture of the three dozen people making the game at his studio, Panache. That’s unusual. Why’d he do it? “I’m fucking proud of those people,” he said. “Have you seen what they’re doing? They’re 35. Not 800. Thirty-five dedicated people to making something unique.”

Tossed a softball about whether the game is really going to be fun enough, he snarks: “No it’s really boring.”

He swears he’s never made a game he’s had this much fun playing and promises that, no, he’s not just saying that because he is currently making this one: “It’s the game I play the most in all my career. You like the Prince, you like Assassin’s. Me, I was fucking bored at the end of playing that game.” He tells the story of playing it recently, of being an elder protecting two babies during a rainstorm, trying to keep them alive to make humanity possible. He gets dreamy about it, wistful that he’s not playing as we speak. “I need my fix. It’s been a week now. I need to go back home and eventually get myself lost in the savannah with my crew and go kill a fucking leopard.”
    bron

Mentioned
    1207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey Introduces Experiences, A Video Series Exploring Game’s Influences

See real life and fantasy weave in this fascinating new series

Whatever you want to say about Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, you sure can’t say it’s not trying to do something very different than the norm. Thrusting us millions of years in the past to humanity’s distant ancestors is a trip of a concept, and to go along with it they’ve introduced a new video series called simply Experiences.

In them Game Director Patrice Désilets steps out into the real world to explore the themes of his games and how the things our ancestors experienced are still mirrored today. He promises to look at a wide range of personalities and jobs, such as athletes, scientists and creative minds.

In the first episode he talks to Dr. Niobe Thompson to discuss survival 10 million years ago in Neogene Africa, where the game takes place and promises many challenges ahead, much like it did those many millions years ago.

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey will launch August 27th for PC with a PlayStation 4 and Xbox One release in December. 7 more episodes of Experiences are slated to follow, so stay tuned.

bron

Mentioned
    704 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: shappy1010 Steam ID: RPGer
    Ik vind dit wel interessant. Weer eens wat anders, en voer voor onze huis historicus @youknowwho
    Ik kan niet wachten